TWELVE LITERARY ARTS WRITING AND PERFORMANCE COACH
DEADLINE: JANUARY 12, 2017
DEADLINE: JANUARY 12, 2017
One Mic Open (OMO) is a program of Twelve Literary Arts Inc. that provides youth between the ages of 13 – 19 with after school opportunities to develop skills in poetry and performance. OMO prepares four to six youth to compete at the national Brave New Voices Festival and Competition to be hosted in Chicago in July 2018.
One Mic Open at Twelve Literary Arts seeks a writing and performance coach with a background in performance poetry, theatre, and classroom management. The writing and performance coach will co-facilitate instruction twice per week for a total of four hours per week between the months of February and July at Twelve Literary Arts (325 E. 156th Street, Cleveland, OH 44110). The writing and performance coach will also travel with youth and co-facilitator to the Brave New Voices Festival and Competition in Chicago from July 18 - 21, 2018. Additional travel with youth may be required. This position will report to the Executive Artistic Director. Total time commitment: 100 hours. Stipend for this position is $2000.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing mentorship and critical feedback for no more than six youth poets in writing and performance
- Working with Twelve Literary Arts education program staff in co-designing program curriculum
- Providing and maintaining a safe environment for youth poets
- Helping youth poets meet monthly writing and performance goals
- Co-facilitating Theater and writing lessons and leading workshopping sessions in writing and performance
- Demonstrating professional demeanor: punctual, consistent, reliable, creative, communicative, courteous, and flexible; model appropriate behavior.
- Other duties to be determined
Proposed Start and End Dates:
January 22, 2018 – July 23, 2018
- At least two years of experience working with youth between the ages of 13-1
- History of working with youth in out-of-school learning environment
- Background in Literary Arts and Theatre
- Cuyahoga County background check (BCI)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Hands on experience in local, regional, or national Poetry Slam/Brave New Voices competitions
- An undergraduate degree in a related field (Education, Theatre, English, Creative Writing).
- Valid Driver’s License
- Strong interest in social justice and youth development
Twelve Literary Arts is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Twelve Literary Arts will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories with direct referrals from The Ohio Ex-Offender Coalition, The Cleveland Eastside Ex-Offender Coalition, and Lutheran Metropolitan Ministries Community Re-Entry program.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of no more than three pages to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 12, 2018. In subject line, please write: Writing and Performance Coach Application. Only complete applications will be accepted. No calls please.